Thursday, June 3, 2010

Numerical elegance

As a student in Providence I developed a fascination for these ubiquitous parking stubs I'd find on the ground. The relationship between the color of font and background is beautiful in nearly all of them, and the level of deterioration of some only adds to their aesthetic value. I discovered that I'm not alone in my garbage fetishism- Maira Kalman (Artsy page here) acted as guest critic to a class I took at RISD, where she revealed her shared passion for the delicate composition of all this pragmatic refuse.


These parking stubs began ending up in my work in various forms- first in paintings and then in a few screen-printed shirts. Lately I've been hankering to make some oil paintings of them- but big. We'll see. The painting is watercolor on paper and approx. 4" x 7". The shirt is on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment